Vivian's Birth Story - West & Rose Farm

Vivian's Birth Story

Vivian was born on Monday, October 24th, 2016 at 5:34pm.  She was 10lbs 4oz and 21in of pure perfection!

The weekend prior to her arrival I was starting to feel a little let down.  I already had a Doctor's appointment scheduled for 2:30pm on Monday October 24th and it was at this appointment they would decide to induce if she did not make her appearance before then.  I desperately wanted my body to go into labor on its own, but it seemed likely that I would have to be induced instead.  Well Monday morning I woke up feeling completely normal.  I got ready then got Bubba ready, fed and out the door for school.  It was in the school drop off line at around 7:30AM that I felt my first contraction.  I had an inkling that this could be it, so when I helped Bubba out of the car I started to get a little emotional.  I was sending him off to school on what could be his last day as an only child.  I gave him a huge hug, kissed him at least five times and watched him disappear behind the doors to his humongous school.  

Last photo with Bubba as an only child. Taken about 24 hours before Vivian arrived!

The contractions were somewhat regular, but were close to 20 minutes apart.  These first contractions were not painful, just noticeable.  When I got home I decided to take a long, hot shower and get completely ready for what might be happening that day.  At about 9AM I wrote the Hubs letting him know i was having regular contractions.  He left work in Atlanta early and came on home.  I double checked the hospital bags and the car seat and also managed to get some light house cleaning and a load of laundry done during this time.  The contractions continued to get a little closer together and were becoming more intense with each hour that passed.  

Lying in bed, realizing that I am actually in labor!

Finally it was time for my appointment at 2:30pm.  It was right at this time that the contractions were becoming painful.  I sat in the waiting room for my appointment, trying not to freak out the not-as-pregnant mothers in the room while I breathed through contractions.  Hubs was calm, cool and collected the whole time.  I squeezed his hands through contractions and he would talk me through the pain.  When I was called back, around 3pm, I still had enough wits about me to pee in a cup and to get a blood pressure reading of 122/78!  I let the nurse know that I was certain I was in labor, so the doctor came right away to examine me.  It was then we found out I was already 4cm dilated!  The doctor said it was time to go to the hospital!  We called my Mother-in-Law at this time to let her know what was going on and that she would need to pick up Bubba from school and take care of him for the next couple of days.

The hospital is just across the street from my OBGYN, so we were able to get checked-in, situated and hooked up to monitors by about 4:15pm.  At this point the contractions were approaching unbearable.  I asked for an epidural and also asked for something light to take the edge off of the contractions as I was thinking it was going to be hours before I had to push.  Well the something light, whatever it was, made me loopy and unable to concentrate for about 10 never did help with the pain.

I was 8cm dilated by 5pm.  My labor was progressing so quickly that they did not even have time to get my blood work and labs processed.  They prepared to give me an epidural, however my labor was progressing so quickly that we had to give up on that dream...  When I realized I was going to deliver my baby without an epidural I began to panic.  I was certain I was not going to be able to do it!  I looked at my husband and yelled "I can't do this! I can't do this!" Hubs looked at me, with an all-knowing, yet empathetic and smart-assed smile on his face and said "Well babe, you don't have a choice."  

Next thing I know, the doctor breaks my water and instantly, I had to push!  I could not wait for instructions from the doctor...all I could do was push, whether they were ready or not.  The only person I listened to from that point forward was my husband.  I have never screamed so loud in my entire life.  It was the most excruciating and empowering experience I have ever gone through.  I had no control over the screaming, it was what I had to do in order to get my baby out.  All I could do was look at my Husband, scream and push until I felt like my head would explode!  Hubs was my rock.  He did not let me give up during a single push.  Thankfully, I only had to push about 6 or 7 times before Vivian was here!

She was placed directly on my chest while Hubs cut her umbilical cord.  We did skin-to-skin for the next 20 minutes or so before they took her to weigh and measure her as well as complete the newborn assessments, all of which she passed with flying colors.  While she was on my chest, I had to have a few stitches...which was almost worse than the labor itself due to some of my adrenaline tapering off by that point.  

We did not tell anyone, not even our parents, that Vivian was here for a couple of hours.  Those few hours after Vivian was born, time got to stand still for us. For a few hours hubs and I were the only two people, outside of the hospital staff, that knew she existed on the planet.  Hubs and I both felt very strongly about not telling anyone until some time after she was born as we really wanted to share the experience between the two of us alone.  We did not want to have to think about phone calls and updates to family and friends at that time, we just wanted to savor the experience as Vivian will more than likely be our last child.

Horrible picture of myself along with bad picture quality, but it captures the moment after Viv was born.

It was also very important to us that Bubba be the first one to meet her.  We did not announce to anyone else, besides our parents, that Vivian was here until he met his baby sister.  It was one of the most precious moments of my life.  He did such a great job holding her and never shied away from her. He has wanted to be near her ever since.  I hope this never stops! 

We were discharged from the hospital on Wednesday morning, October 26th, and have been enjoying our time at home as a family of four ever since.  Viv has us all wrapped around her finger...especially her Daddy...

Happy Hump Day!
 photo RVR Signature_zpsdh5wtpbp.png

1 comment